Thursday, December 9, 2010

Michigan Wine Country? Yep!

If asked to list words associated with the fine mitten-shaped state of Michigan, "wine" wouldn't make the top 1,000. That's why I was surprised when I went to Grand Rapids over labor day weekend to visit my husband working there on location. We were told by a local friend to head up to Traverse City. Known as a great vacation spot for boating and wine tasting (no, not at the same time), we were promised the lovely blue waters of Lake Michigan and some decent wine to boot. Having been to Napa a few times, I imagined Michigan's wineries to be little farm stands serving welch's quality wine out of jelly jars. I'm happy to say I was mistaken.

Traverse City is this lovely little gem of a lakeside community with cool little shops, cafes and pubs. The lake waters were almost as blue and clear as the waters in Maui. Who knew?!?!

After winding up a wooded road for a few miles, we turned to our destination, 2 Lads Winery. A gorgeous modern building with floor to ceiling windows set high on a hill overlooking the azure-blue waters of northern Michigan. I must admit, the wine wasn't on par with Napa, but still we had a great time. They were actually serving up glasses of strawberry sangria too and I must admit Don and I guzzled down at least two each. Between the vista and the wine... we had a perfect afternoon.

No comments: